Monday, December 22, 2008

ow, I tell you

Saturday was the first time doing weight training in a long time. Some old exercises, including benching and lat pulldowns I still find very dubious in their practical use, and some new ones including a kind of row-machine supported 45 degree pullup. I think the trick is I jumped in way too fast, and instead of just being sore, seriously knotted up my lat muscles, to the point of nigh-constant discomfort. This is going to take a while to repair.

The systema pushup-balance drill didn't go over so well with the teenagers, I think because they weren't really getting the concept of sweeping, without a real martial arts background, and also the systema concept of striking-to-move, which is really more of a hardcore push.

I did get to teach a little yoga, sun salutationing with the teens, and tailoring a half/side forward bend to an obese gal with bad knees. That's where the real advantage of classical yoga comes in, customizing toward a specific context like that, so that was nice. She also really liked my posture primer. Looks like I may just be kind of a go-to teacher for the place for now, used in moments rather than classes, which is fine for now, though I'm a bit worried the head guy wants to kind of take over any teaching of mine and make it into regular exercise.

No comments: