Saturday, May 5, 2007

Hm.

I'm at something of a loss for one last bit of my application for yoga school. That is, basically, what do I see myself doing with that education? I have an idea of what I would like to do, I'm just not sure how to explain it.

My main interest in yoga is not actually the physical, asana aspect - as much as I'm a very physically inclined person - but rather, in the philosophy and tools for self-development and self-study that are contained within the other limbs of yoga. In that regard, I'd like to combine those limbs with a creative outlet - poetry, or possibly even photography - as a way for people to get into those less well known aspects of yoga, and also just as a kind of contemplative creative outlet, like, say, zen calligraphy. So, perhaps a class would consist of some light hatha or vinyasa yoga, and/or meditation (or even pranayama/breathwork?), and then some discussion of, say, a niyama or Ayurvedic concept, leading into a writing workshop, tying back into the earlier exercises and discussion.

Now, how to word that well and concisely for the application...

Between steps, between breaths,
I saw a hundred suns.
They were strung, sparkling pendants,
from the nascent leaves of a youngling plant
(succulent with verdant life)
each bright star floating in a drop of dew,
and in that pacific moment
the wind chimes still sang
from each point of light.

No comments: